Minimalist Blogger Templates from GalleryBloggerTemplates.com. Optimized for your blog. Free to download and use.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Okay, so I finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy recently and so I decided I will do a little review on the series. To begin with, the book-set contains 3 books: The Hunger Games, Catching fire and The mockingjay. The books follow the life of 16 year-old Katniss Everdeen as she faces many challenges presented to her is a post-apocalyptic world. The story takes place in some-time-in-future after the destruction of modern civilizations in North America as we know today, in a country known as Panem. Now Panem  consists of a wealthy capitol and 12 poorer districts. The Capitol in this book is a lil more corrupted version of our government today. The book in whole reminds me of the early 1900's when the world was torn apart due to wars.  My personal favorite is the first book: the hunger games. This book truly brings out the survivalist and rebellious yet soft character of Katniss who is quite endearing. Hunger Games are a kind of brutal survival games designed by the capitol where 24 children, a boy and a girl from each of the 12 districts, are chosen and are made to compete for their lives. The last to survive is the winner and is showered with fame and glory. Katniss Everdeen is chosen for 74th Hunger games and she goes through it and becomes a winner, displaying courage, wit and love through out the games. It is a wonderful book and is an absolute page turner. If you are the kind of person who loves to read books which always keeps you on your toes then go for it. But unfortunately, the 2nd book falls far below its first counterpart and leaves you with mixed emotions. I guess its one of those cases where the first part is so good that the following parts just fail to overcome its shadow and leave you disappointed no matter how good they are. The third book is better(not as good as the first but definitely better than the 2nd). This book describes the war of the districts against the all-controlling capitol and how Katniss deals with being the Mockingjay(face of the rebellion).

What I really love about the series is Katniss Everdeen's character  and also the fact that this book reminds me of how humans have such poor memory. It just makes me realize that no matter how many wars humans have fought and regretted in the past, their memory is poor and there always will come a time when a war will be fought against tyranny and corruption. Its the classic case of "history repeats itself". This trilogy leaves you with a lot of thoughts to reckon with. I usually love a book whose character I can recognize myself with and which gives you a lot to think about . I certainly do love this book. So if you are one of my kind then I suggest you to read this book.

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment